Deb Waters, RN, IBCLC
Deb Waters has provided breastfeeding support at St. Elizabeth Hospital for almost 20 years. Prior to this, she worked as a staff nurse on the Pediatric and OB units. She obtained her International Board Certified Lactation Consultant status in 2004.
1. What are some of your hobbies outside of work?
Spending time with my husband and kids, walking, gardening and reading.
2. What is your favorite thing about your job?
My favorite thing is being able to help ease the fears that new parents have. The parents I work with are often nervous and stressed out. One of my main goals is to help them understand that what they are going through is completely normal. I also feel extremely privileged to be able to observe the intimate relationship between a breastfeeding baby and its parents. It is beautiful.
3. What sorts of blogs/news channels do you follow?
I listen to Wisconsin Public Radio almost every day.
4. If you weren’t a Lactation Consultant/Nurse, what would your dream job be?
I might be a dietician or an entomologist (a few bugs creep me out, but many fascinate me).
5. Where did you grow up/where is your family from?
My family if from Menomonee Falls, Wis. and I grew up in White Lake, Wis., but I love living in the Fox River Valley.
6. What's the hottest trend in your industry?
The current hottest topic is tongue-tie and how it can adversely affect breastfeeding.