Lori Deering, RD
Lori is a registered dietitian and certified eating disorder specialist. She has worked 30 years in the field of nutrition, initially in public health specializing in prenatal nutrition, infant and child nutrition. She later specialized in the area of eating disorders. As a member of a multidisciplinary treatment team, Lori has treated adults, adolescents, and children in both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health settings. Lori teaches community classes in the area of breastfeeding, prenatal nutrition, mindful eating, puberty and safety. Her particular area of interest is eating disorder prevention, targeting prepubescent children and their families via education in nutrition, fitness, body image, self-esteem and media literacy.
1. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? My favorites are yoga, water skiing, biking and winter sports. I would like to try stand-up paddleboarding.
2. What is your favorite thing about your job? People, people, people!
4. If you weren’t a doctor, what would your dream job be? I really love what I do now since I get to work directly with people focused on making positive lifestyle changes.
5. Where did you grow up/where is your family from? I grew up right here in Appleton.
6. What is the hottest trend in your industry? Something I’ve used for years with patients called focused eating, now termed mindful eating, is being used by more dietitians to help patients learn to regulate their eating.