Use as stuffing for poultry or pork roast, or bake tightly covered in a separate baking dish at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or walnuts)
- 2-3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 medium tart red apple, cored and diced (or prunes)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked (in chicken or vegetable broth
- Cook almonds in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add apple, onion, celery, poultry seasoning, thyme and pepper. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Stir in cooked rice; cook until thoroughly heated.