Home » Uncategorized » How many lookalike poisons are in your house?

How many lookalike poisons are in your house?

lookalike poison

Every 30 seconds in the United States, a child is poisoned. Most children under five years of age are poisoned when they eat or drink products that look like flavored drinks or candy.

These products may smell pleasant, may have a sweet taste or may just have a similar appearance to something edible. Often small children will eat or drink something with a pungent smell or bitter taste because they think it is candy.

If you have small children in or visiting your home, it’s important to consider how some of your everyday products look through their eyes.

  • Pills often look like colorful candies.
  • Pine cleaner looks like apple juice.
  • Aspirin is often the same size and color as mints.
  • Pesticides used to kill mice or moles look like sunflower seeds.
  • Laundry and dishwasher detergent pods can be mistaken for marshmallow candies.
  • Nicotine gum looks exactly the same as child-safe gum.
  • Laxatives and chocolate bars look and taste similar.
  • Some household cleaners have a grainy texture and are in the same type of can as grated Parmesan cheese.
  • Transmission fluid looks a lot like fruit punch.
  • Window cleaner could be mistaken for ice-blue sports drinks.

In addition to these look-alikes, we now have gummy bear vitamins, cold medications you add to water bottles, and chocolate and caramel calcium chews that small children can easily confuse with candy.

Awareness is the key to keeping little children safe.

Store household cleaners, medications, and other liquids up and away from a child’s reach.

Store household cleaners, medications, and other liquids up and away from a child’s reach. Looking at products through the eyes of a child may prevent an accidental poisoning in your family.

You may also be interested in these look-alike poison resources.

Mistaken Identity Poster

Teaching Poison Prevention to Children Grades K – 3 from the Florida Poison Information Center

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Disclaimer: The information found on Affinity's blog is a general educational aid. Do not rely on this information or treat it as a substitute for personal medical or health care advice, or for diagnosis or treatment. Always consult your physician or other qualified health care provider as soon as possible about any medical or health-related question and do not wait for a response from our experts before such consultation. If you have a medical emergency, seek medical attention immediately.

The Affinity Health System blog contains opinions and views created by community members. Affinity does endorse the contributions of community members. You should not assume the information posted by community members is accurate and you should never disregard or delay seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this site.