As we all know, Wisconsin weather can be called confusing at best. Temperatures can swing from 30 degrees one day, to 70 degrees the next day. Wisconsin winters can be particularly problematic due to the snow, ice and cold that lasts from December through March. One area of concern is slipping or falling on the ice. In general, people are more careful when they can see ice in the way, but what happens when we run into black ice or ice covered with snow? Is there anything we can do to prevent these falls, or limit the severity of injury when slipping? There is! I have several exercises and tips that can keep you healthier during the Wisconsin winter ahead. Continue Reading »
Home » Posts tagged "advice" (Page 4)
As someone who serves on the front line of face-to-face care with families suffering from a miscarriage or stillbirth, I see how devastating losing a pregnancy can be for mothers. Miscarriage is not a topic women want to think about or discuss, especially if they are in their first trimester of pregnancy. In this blog post, I will help break down what a miscarriage is, the signs and symptoms of a miscarriage and some advice and tips.
What causes a miscarriage?
Many miscarriages are caused by a chromosomal abnormality that make it impossible for the baby to develop. Other possible causes include drug and alcohol abuse, exposure to environmental toxins, infection, problem with the body’s immune response and hormonal abnormalities. Continue Reading »
One of the most frequent questions I get asked by patients is: What kinds of natural remedies and medications can they use while pregnant. While it is a very frequent concern, it’s also a very complex topic to discuss. Overall, less is more. The best advice I can give is to avoid medication or supplements if you don’t need them.
Because there are very few studies done on pregnant women, we don’t know the effects of medications on your unborn baby. Health care providers decide which medications you can take by using ‘pregnancy risk’ categories and by experience to determine if a drug is safe for you to take while you are pregnant. There are always side effects to anything you put in your body, including food. Continue Reading »
Some of the benefits of exercise during pregnancy for mom include:
- Reduced weight gain
- Improved muscle tone
- Improved self esteem
- Decreased incidence of varicose veins
- Improved sleep
- Decreased incidence of low back pain, musculoskeletal pains
- Improved posture, body mechanics
- Improved heart, lung function
- A possible link is decreased need for induction, cesarian deliveries, episotomy, anesthesia
- Prevents and provides treatment for:
- Gestational diabetes
- preeclampsia Continue Reading »
If you experience knee pain, here are some helpful tips:
- Stretch to relieve joint and muscle tension: It eases muscles and helps them get back in shape.
- Ice or cold pack on your knee at least once a day: This will stop inflammation as well as minimize pain and spasm in the area.
- Over the counter anti-inflammatory medication: If systems last more that 10 days to two weeks, seek professional help.
- Compress or wrap the sore area: This will help decrease swelling.
- Elevate: Elevating your knee reduces stress. Keep the knee area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling. Continue Reading »