If you experience knee pain, here are some helpful tips:
- Stretch to relieve joint and muscle tension: It eases muscles and helps them get back in shape.
- Ice or cold pack on your knee at least once a day: This will stop inflammation as well as minimize pain and spasm in the area.
- Over the counter anti-inflammatory medication: If systems last more that 10 days to two weeks, seek professional help.
- Compress or wrap the sore area: This will help decrease swelling.
- Elevate: Elevating your knee reduces stress. Keep the knee area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.
I often advise patients on how to avoid knee problems. There are a few different things that can be done, including:
- Maintaining proper posture so as not to strain your muscles
- Wear shoes with good arch support and avoid wearing high-heeled shoes
- If you are a runner, replace your running shoes every 3 months
- Warm up before doing activities to keep knees strong
For more information on knee pain and other orthopaedic topics, visit our website at http://www.affinityhealth.org/Affinity/Services/orthopedic/Orthopedic-Surgery